The Historical Rae House Museum
The Rae House Museum is closed from Jan through March each year and open on the first Sunday of each month from 1 to 4 p.m. thereafter. or by appointment - call 209-745-1477 .. Galt's Rae House Museum is located at 204 Oak Avenue.
The Rae House was built in 1868 by John Rae, a pioneer who had tried his luck in the gold fields, settled for a time in Hicksville, worked for a while as an interior plaster finisher, and eventually became one of Galt's biggest ranchers. John Rae's work as an interior plaster finisher, according to his daughter, Alice, included work in the State Capitol. The Rae House, which was a local landmark, and which had been chosen the Centennial House, (a picture of it had been on the cover of the Centennial Program) was to be demolished in 1988, to make room for a housing development
The Galt Area Historical Society appealed to the members of the Galt City Council, and together they began a partnership to "Save the Rae". On June 9th, 1991, the Rae House Museum opened its doors to over two hundred guests.
Copyright 1998-2015 Galt Area Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Updated as of 5/30/2016. All information on this website is property of the GAHS and permission must be granted to use it. Website maintained by ms-hospitality.com ~ Contact the webmaster at: email@example.com .
We Sincerely Thank You for visiting with us!