The Historical McFarland Ranch
The McFarland Ranch, originally a part of the vast land holdings of John McFarland, is now owned by the Sacramento County Department of Parks and Recreation, and a portion of it is leased to the Galt Area Historical Society to be preserved for the people of the Galt area.
The ranch was owned and farmed by John McFarland who came to this valley in 1853 and purchased 1,800 acres of farmland to grow grain. John McFarland became a rancher of prominence and was the man who gave Galt its name, naming the town after a small town in Ontario, Canada, where he had lived with his parents. When John McFarland died, he willed all his land and his lovely two story home to his niece, Mrs. Mary Orr. When she died, she left the land and home to her daughters. The McFarland Ranch is considered a "Living History" ranch that will provide a tangible way for visitors to learn about farming as it was in pioneer days, and times in history that are no more.
Open by appointment only, call 209-745-1477 for an appointment or to book a Wedding or Event.
Copyright 1998-2015 Galt Area Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Updated as of 5/30/2016. All information on this website is property of the GAHS and permission must be granted to use it. Website maintained by ms-hospitality.com ~ Contact the webmaster at: email@example.com .
We Sincerely Thank You for visiting with us!